PERCHE' FARE UN FILM SU UNA COMUNITA' MARINARA
Ho iniziato questo percorso tre anni fa con le riprese della distruzione di un cantiere navale a Riva Trigoso, spinto dalla sensazione che qualcosa di importante stesse andando perduto per sempre.
Riva Trigoso è anche il mio paese. Sono nato qui e molto giovane sono partito alla ricerca di orizzonti più vasti, ripercorrendo fatalmente le orme dei miei concittadini.http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB1xZ4S3umk
Cercando notizie sugli edifici abbattuti ho incontrato alcuni “raccoglitori di memorie rivane” che hanno accumulato nel corso della loro vita migliaia di fotografie, lettere, filmati e racconti. Il più geloso di questi custodi di memorie è Lazzaro Ghio, un uomo anziano, elegante e riservato.
[caption id="attachment_1679" align="aligncenter" width="745"] Lazzarin nella sua stanza, still da video[/caption]
PERCHE' UNA CAMPAGNA DI CROWDFUNDING
SE SOSTENGO "TRA PONENTE E LEVANTE" COSA AVRO' IN CAMBIO?
Per chi invece avesse intenzione di partecipare in maniera più significativa abbiamo deciso di offrire quello che possiamo permetterci in questo momento. Non è molto ma sicuramente è offerto con tutta la passione con cui da quattro anni stiamo lavorando a questo progetto.
This journey started three years ago during the shooting of the destruction of a shipyard in Riva Trigoso, driven by the feeling that something important was going to be lost forever.
Riva Trigoso is my hometown. I was born there and when I was very young I left in search of broader horizons, fatally retracing the footsteps of my fellow citizens.
Looking for information on the knocked down buildings, I met some "collectors of Riva Trigoso’s memories" that during their lifetime accumulated thousands of photos, letters, videos and stories. The most jealous guardian of these memories is Lazzaro Ghio, an elegant and discreet old man.
The house where Lazzarin', as everyone calls him, spends his days becomes the starting point to tell the history of a town retraced through the personal stories of its inhabitants, through heterogeneous archival materials, both private and coming from institutional archives. A choral story where no character speaks in his own voice: a first-person narration that sums up a variety of conversation extracts, captions of old photos, old documentaries, seamanship essays, archive radio broadcasts, testimonies and folktales.
After two years of interviews and research I presented the project to the National Academy of Image and Sound La Fémis where I was selected, along with other 9 projects from all over Europe, for an intensive workshop on documentary archives development. Only 3 months later the trailer was presented at the East European Forum 2013 in Prague and was met with approval by the commission editors of many countries. After a year of filming the editing began.
Tra Ponente e Levante is an independent documentary. To this day it has been supported from Mediateca Regionale Ligure of La Spezia and Genova Liguria Film Commission only with regard to the development. Being an independent film, the editing and sound cannot be completed without further support.
WHY A CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN
The budget raised through this campaign will be spent to pay two of the five professionals involved in the project - editor and sound designer - as well as to cover the costs already incurred and those that will occur during the post-production phase, allowing me to finish up a copy of the film and then begin the adventure of distribution.
This film is not meant to investigate nor to tell all the stories and show all the memories of a town. It is meant to trigger the search and the discussion on memories and passion of collecting them. I wanted to open a breach in the memory of a community - my community - that increasingly needs to look back not with nostalgia but rather with deep love for a past where man and the sea had a mystical bond based on survival and pride.
Chilean director Patricio Guzman once said: "A country without documentaries is like a family without a photo album."
WHAT WILL BE GIVEN IN EXCHANGE IF I SUPPORT “TRA PONENTE E LEVANTE”?
We decided to include in the credits the names of all those who request it even just sharing this fundraising campaign, the passion for the memory and for sea adventures. We will be happy to include in the acknowledgments those who, though unable to donate but somehow willing to take part in the project, will simply share this crowdfunding campaign on the main social networks and by word of mouth.
For those who want to financially support us, we offer what we can afford at this time. It's not much but we offer it together with all the passion we injected in the project in the last four years.
1) CADET – Shiver me timbers! Thanks to your support our ship sails in calm waters! We are grateful to you and your name will appear in the credits of the documentary and on all social networks - 5 €
2) CABIN BOY- Arr blimey! Your support deserves toasting with rum! Thank you! In addition to your name in the credits and social networks, you'll have access to the documentary’s extra content! - € 15
3) COALMAN - The engine room is the heart of the ship. Thank you because your support is the fuel that the documentary needs! At the end of the shift you will enjoy the documentary and extra content in streaming or downloading on your computer/tablet - € 25
4) BOATSWAIN - The sea is your home and you are fearless. In addition to the credits and the download/streaming of the documentary and the extras, you will receive a poster signed by the author - 35€
5) BOAT COOK - With your support the pantry is perfect! In addition to acknowledgments, movie, extras and poster, we will be happy to chat with you on Skype - 50 €
6) ENGINE DRIVER – Your task is that the crew gives the best performance. Your valuable support will be rewarded with the documentary, the extras, the poster, the Skype call and the usual acknowledgments. In addition, you will be invited to the Italian premiere of the film in a festival. - 80€
7) CAPTAIN – “As long as the boat goes, let it go!” says an old Italian refrain. As you brought us in calm waters, your fantastic support will be rewarded with the documentary, the extras, the poster, the Skype call, the invitation to the Italian premiere and the acknowledgments. In addition to this you can send us your archive material to share with a community passionate about history and marine memories - 100 €
8) CAPTAIN AHAB - Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale! You will get all the rewards mentioned so far plus a dinner with the filmmakers - 150 €
9) OLD SEA DOG - The seven seas have no secrets for you! In addition to the rewards mentioned above you can visit, together with the authors, the sites recounted in the documentary - 200 €
10) BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE - It'd be foolish to battle fate, but I'd be tempted to cheat it. We will recompense your incredible support with all the previous rewards plus an invitation to an international festival together with the Italian delegation - € 500
11) AMERIGO VESPUCCI - I reached the land of the Antipodes and I recognized that I was gazing on the fourth part of the Earth. You will receive all previous rewards and you will be hosted for a weekend stay in a hotel on the Italian Riviera - € 1000
12) CAPTAIN NEMO – Formerly I loved to collect these beautiful works created by the hand of man. I sought them greedily, and ferreted them out indefatigably, and I have been able to bring together some objects of great value. These are my last souvenirs of that world which is dead to me. In addition to all previous rewards, you will be mentioned in the credits as associate producer - € 2000